Monday, May 09, 2005

Legacy

I've posted about the role of legacy before in life i believe but it was again affirmed today at my grandmother's funeral. She has left me with much including a love of music and art that I will never be able to escape. It was only fitting that together with some cousins we played a medley of gospel songs complete with guitar & mandolin accompaniment. My grandmother was the first person from my community of Rosenort/Riverside to attend a camp and interestingly it is where she established a relationship with Christ. My passion includes camp ministry - camp is also where I experienced my calling to be a teacher and also eventually met my wife! Her father, my great-grandfather (John W. Dueck) was a teacher which interestingly has become my occupation. She had a deep concern with the education of her children and grandchildren in the ways of Christianity. My grandmother was also an amazing cook, my favorites included her perogies (wrenkje), mashed potatoes, and of course her coconut cream pie! She lived a long life of ninety dedicated to God, to family, and to prayer. It was hard to let her go but I do know she is in a better place and celebrating with her husband, family, and friends that already are in Paradise.

I miss you grandma Friesen but I thank you for your legacy that I continue to live out and experience daily.

2 comments:

Weary Hag said...

Lovely tribute to your grandmother. Sorry for all these comments suddenly, but I'm finding it difficult to stop reading your posts!

Garth said...

Hey that's why they are there - to be read! And I love any interaction - that's when shared learning takes place!