Monday, May 16, 2005

Further Discussion on Play?

I'm hoping for more of a discussion on the role of play in life. Here's my collected definitions of play in real particular order:
  1. to occupy oneself in amusement (the typical dictionary type definition); to escape?
  2. to fully engage in life, in living
  3. to celebrate life, discovery (an attitude or mindset?)
  4. to find freedom; to explore ideas, concepts; to imagine or dream
  5. to be creative in whatever endeavour attempted (see Genesis 1 & 2)
  6. to be child-like in discovery of... (education of children occurs primarily through play)
Are there any definitions you would like to add or one's that resonate more strongly with any of my blog-readers. I'd love your input!!! I'm personally leaning with #2 "engaging in life/living" and I see play being critical to one's own understanding of purpose or lifestyle. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy; All work and no play makes Garth go insane! I see play actually having a role in work - in fact, if you are not able to "play" at work - I'm not sure why one should be there. I read this on a mug recently, "Like what you do, do what you like!"

G

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

I'm less comfortable with definitions that are so broad as to become almost meaningless. The second one is certainly one of the most worthy goals, but it seems a lot broader to me than the pure concept of play.

Of course the first one is completely inadequate and stereotypical.

I'm liking the last three best of all. Will have to think some more on why that is -- the elements of experimentation, creativity, design...

Garth said...

I'm with you Jer that often definitions become so broad that they lose their meaning. I guess my reasoning for the number of potential definitions is to somehow refine them into one or two sentences that capture my understanding of play and it's role in life.

If play is simply amusement, it somehow seems quite trivial. If play is "to fully engage in life" ist appears perhaps to be too broad as you seem to suggest.

Here's a jab at refinement... "Play is creatively exploring and finding contentment in life's pursuits: leisure, work, & self-understanding." Or is it still to broad?

G

Jeremy said...

That's interesting...I think it's getting closer.