Thursday, May 05, 2005

Homecoming

It's good to be home and back with my daughters and wife. Although having to endure a week of faculty meetings has been somewhat trying. Traveling and exploring North Carolina has definitely been a blessing. It was great paddling whitewater and riding some amazing switchbacks down some great mountain bike trails! Next week looks better for some outdoor recreation here in Manitoba.

My grandmother passed away early this morning - Grandma Friesen lived a long life and had been alone for the past sixteen or so years since my Grandpa died. So although I am sad and feel her loss - I am thankful for the legacy she leaves behind and feel joy that she is now in heaven. We will celebrate and remember her life this Sunday with a family time and on Monday honor her with a funeral.

So much to say about grandmothers...they love & care so much; they can get away with spoiling us with treats & games; they pray and have a faith like no one else...what a homecoming my Grandmother is experiencing right now - I can only imagine.

G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garth, welcome back from one of the greatest areas of one of the greatest states in the US.

And my heart goes to you and your family. You're right, there is so much to say to honor our grandmothers and yet it wouldn't come close to being enough. My own maternal grandmother is one of the bright lights of this world. I have a feeling that Grandma Friesen was cut from the same cloth. Be well my friend and dwell in peace in the legacy she left to you and all who knew her.

Garth said...

Thanks for the welcome back and you are right - North Carolina is definitely one of the greatest states! Thanks too for your kind words regarding the life of my grandmother!

G

Weary Hag said...

I'm sorry to learn about your loss. I've often envied those of great faith ... an area in which I fall miserably short. I have no doubt in my heart of hearts that there is a better, safer, more wholesome place... and that we have to earn a spot there. Then I begin to think back on my early religious learnings and as though I have a pair of scissors in my brain's hand, I cut the whole thing off ~ quickly.
I'm sure my mother (who passed on six years ago) is in this better place as well ~
Lovely thoughts.