Sunday, March 13, 2005

Soundtrack to life...

Five weeks of regular college life and then....escape to North Carolina! I booked my flights and am ready for a week of whitewater paddling and singletrack trails! We'll see if I can shake the rust off my kayak roll and well, mtn biking it will just be the lungs that will need work. Why the escape you ask? I'll be helping out as a guest instructor for a camp from Ontario called Medeba where my wife and I spent 10 months in a leadership development program. Unfortunately, I'll be going solo and leaving the family back in MB. Hopefully, we'll get some camping in as a family this summer and make our own escapes!

My current soundtrack to life includes Snow Patrol's Final Straw, The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex (of Smashing Pumpkins & Zwan fame), Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams, Kathleen Edward's Back To Me, Moby's Hotel, and still listening to U2's latest offering. I know it's all over the map musically - trippy, drippy, bleeding, and even rocking! Is it just me or is Kathleen Edward's a laid back folky female version of Tom Petty? JJ makes me want to move to Maui and finally learn how to surf. Jimmy Chamberlin's album has groove, (cool to have Corgan sing on one of the tunes), fusion & a touch of jazz. Snow Patrol will apparently be opening up for U2 on part of the Europe tour and man do I wish I could see that! Moby's latest offering is a masterpiece that will officially be released later this month!

I'm having fun teaching my final course of the year - Principles of Teaching. Weird being the class illustration often but I think my class is engaged for the most part. Back to the soundtrack of life...

G

1 comment:

Garth said...

You guessed right christopher - it's been a few years since I've been there last but Nantahalla will definitely be one of the rivers I'll be paddling. I've done the Ocoee as well - very challenging paddle with plenty of must make moves. I hope to do some biking at Tsali as well - we'll see what the camp has all planned.

later,

G