Sunday, March 20, 2005

Revisit Play

At the start of this sideline blog I had hoped for more of a focus than from my musings rants...unfortunately I still haven't posted enough blogs on topic. So typical. Well, here's my attempt at refocus. What is this whole explore play thing all about? To begin with, a recap of my explore play attempt thus far (note to self: apparently haven't accomplished much as of yet):
Some goals for this blog would be to create: a definition of & philosophy of play, from there I see the need to explore the role of play in education, in the workplace, in spirituality, in relationships, and of course life management. I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions my current reading audience may have in this regard.
I see play as a natural and essential part of our lives here on earth. Play is more than mere distraction from work it is a mindset. Play is an attitude that seeks to engage in living, in life. It is in fact, the celebration of life. When we play, we see the value of our heartbeats, our breathing in and out, our thoughts, our laughter. We acknowledge that there is more to life than the doldrums or monotony of a 9 to 5 job or doing taxes or waiting in line to get coffee.

Play can occur at any time, in any place, in the silence, or in the chaos. I admit that often I play while at work - in fact work is best when I'm at play! When I am fully engaged, fully alive, imagining solutions, creatively exploring questions or problems, flirting with life's challenges, pursuing in earnest the finish line of completing a project! When I see the lights go on in my students eyes, when they recognize their potential, when they have fun learning, that I find play at work!

It is when life is boring, uninspiring, repetitive, stressful, dull, etc that we crave nothing more than escape! Some see that as Friday's after work but wouldn't it be cool if Mondays or even Wednesdays would be fun! Play is more than kicking a ball, schussing down a mountain, or paddling a river! It is a mindset, an attitude, an approach to life that looks for full engagement of the senses! It is when we are most like our Creator in being creative that we experience play! No child under the age of five experiences boredom do they? Why because they know how to play! It is a shame that so many by thirty have no idea how to play. Why is that? Something worth exploring perhaps?

No comments: