Sunday, January 16, 2005

Places To See Before You Die

I made one of those spontaneous purchases at our local Safeway a few months ago. You know the ones you make and when you get home, your wife rolls her eyes at you and without putting into words you hear the message "What were you thinking?" So in my moment of foolishness, I picked up the book 1,000 Places To See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List written by Patricia Schultz. Now clearly, most of us will probably not even do our top three places never mind a thousand but for some reason I thought the book's title to be somewhat inspiring. Especially with the back cover's closing thought, "Stop dreaming and get going." I've actually traveled to some pretty cool places in this world and yes, I'm still dreaming up more places to go. So my challenge for myself this week was to list a potential top ten:
  1. Visit the Hobbiton site in New Zealand - we have a Kiwi friend (Tania - who we want to visit soon!) who basically described NZ as Canada all squished together so that you can downhill ski, whitewater kayak, & surf all in the same day! I realize the village from LOTR was torn down but I think it would be neat to see what the backgrounds captured on film.
  2. Dive the Great Barrier Reef in Australia - I've always wanted to visit the Reef (as I love to dive) and hey Oz is home of the Crocodile Hunter & I've always wanted to throw a shrimp on the barbie!
  3. Watch a soccer game somewhere in the Netherlands - I'm double dutch in origin and I'd like to check out my roots, and yes World Cup Soccer time I cheer for the Orange Army.
  4. Climb Kilamanjaro in Tanzania - it's not a huge mountain but the tallest in Africa!
  5. See the Pyramids of Giza, Egypt & cruise the Nile - I've always secretly wanted to be Indiana Jones?
  6. Raft the Zambezi River in Zimbabwe - I'm a whitewater addict (at least in a kayak or canoe) and I've never tried it on a raft? Oh and Victoria Falls (one of the natural wonders of the world) apparently are on the same river and I believe they are the tallest falls in the world.
  7. Hike in Denali National Park in Alaska - I love the great outdoors and what's more wild than Alaska?
  8. Mountain bike the infamous trails of Moab, Utah - it apparently is the mecca for us two-wheeled adventurers.
  9. Visit the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador - I'm one of the few who really liked that movie Master & Commander and I thought the Galapagos scenery was so unique.
  10. Drop by U2's studio in Ireland - okay maybe I'm stretching even the dream thing here but seriously wouldn't that be cool?
Go ahead make your own list if you dare!

6 comments:

tfoxfan said...

Garth,

Great new blog!
I too have that book. It was a gift to me from my aunt and uncle, whom I often bug to divulge information from about all of the countries they have visited throughout the world. In that book, I have made a bit of a habit of dog-earing the places I've been so that I can clearly identify the places yet to go. But, it's pretty damn cool how many pages I can count as done (if you haven't noticed yet, I'm a big checklist-person).

Yes, U2's studio in Ireland - very good and I think, a realistic goal. And, Egypt is definitely up there for me as well.

- Esther

Garth said...

Thanx E for your comments as always! Cool idea with marking off the places you've gone - I may have to do something similiar. I've actually been to some pretty cool places in the past as well. Ya' know I'm usually not much of a list type of person but we all need to make some type of goals in life don't we? There are so many more places that I'd like to go! In the words of Dr. Suess - "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting...so get on your way!"

G

Jeremy said...

Garth, you need 43Things! I know people are getting sick of me talking about it, but it's pretty cool -- especially because it connects you to other people who share your goals.

I love the concept for this blog. Looking forward to seeing more things pop up here.

Garth said...

Ironically, I actually have done the 43 Things and is where I partially came up with aspects of my list above. But thanks for the encouragement, I took your lead sometime around Christmas time after your blogpost on it at http://lifestylism.blogspot.com/2004/12/43-things.html

G

Jaime Lee said...

Being an absolute travel junkie, I received "1000 places..." for my 26th birthday from a very dear friend. I love how it is categorized not by importance, but by geographical region so you can check everything off. Also just flipping through, I was amazed at so many places right in my own backyard that I never even gave consideration in traveling to! Usually the first things we think of are the more "exotic" locations...so it was quite refreshing to be intrigued by North American sites. P.S. The barrier reef is FABULOUS! I wanna go back!

Garth said...

Thanks Jaime Lee for your comments! I too was impressed by some of the more local "exotic" locations and it has been fun to check off the ones I've been to. So far I've just done that mentally but I may just have to go through it again & literally check them off.

Here's to exploring our planet!

From a fellow travel junkie,

G