Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Dismantling The Atomic Bomb

Well, it's finally in my possession - the new U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb Special Limited Edition. It is a well-crafted package complete with a 48 page book of photos/artwork, the cd with a bonus track called Fast Cars, and a DVD with a documentary on 3 of the songs and five performances from U2 HQ. Well worth the $35 price tag from A & B Sound. I made a quick drive out to the store this morning (apparently through snow - now that it has arrived in formerly balmy manitoba) before having to get back for teaching my class. So here's my take on dismantling the album:

Many reviewers have noted how the album contains tracks that are reminicent of different time periods of U2's past 20 years of existence - some strong glimpses of Achtung Baby, a little ATYCLB, a touch of Joshua Tree at times, even a hint of Boy! The album of course opens with Vertigo which is a radio friendly upbeat song that clearly references Steve Lillywhite's role in producing albums 1 thru 3, & now 14 - uno, dos, tres, catorce. It is not my favorite tune but it will be fun one for the band to perform in concert and most likely will do well in the charts. It reminds of Elevation in that regard - again not my favorite tune but it did help sell ATYCLB. Miracle Drug opens with Joshua Tree-like atmospheric resonance and it clearly will be an incredible anthem for the tour. It is one of my favorite songs on the album, along with Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own which is all about its' chorus - big, beautiful and made for Bono to sing out almost like an opera-inspired tribute to his dad.

Love and Peace or Else begins a divergence from the first three tracks with more of darker, edgier, punkish feel to it. It is one of the more unique offerings on the album and I'm not sure what my thoughts are on it yet. City of Blinding Lights - starts out with again Joshua Tree-like atmosphere but morphs into a ATYCLB track with a Achtung Baby bridge within it and a unique chorus. I love the driving bass line through out the song. Actually the whole album's bass tracks are perhaps the best that Adam Clayton has ever blessed U2 with. All Because of You - is the next track and it has the energy of Vertigo but with less pop and a touch of punk-drive in the guitars.

A Man and A Woman - is kind of an emptier sounding song (in my opinion) and it may grow on me yet but I found the chorus too 70ish'. The bass line moves the song but the song as a whole leaves me wanting a bit more, my least favorite track on the album. Crumbs from Your Table is a powerful song and destined to be a big hit for the band. I think it is one of the more unique songs on the album and definitely one of the deeper ones lyrically. Catchy chorus and the bridge is classic U2 emotive & building! One Step Closer is another ballad off the album and I'm not sure where it fits in the U2 library - still digesting it and not sure what my thoughts are on it. It seems to have a touch of Lanois (I checked the liner notes and sure enough he helped with production on this one) which may be why it stands out (doesn't quite fit? but still a good tune) somewhat from the rest of the album.

Original of the Species - I love the title and the piano intro, the orchestration may be a little too much but the chorus is very well done -big, deep, & dreamy! I can imagine Pavarotti do a background vocal for this one which is why I see this song having a tie to The Passengers but in my humble opinion is a much better crafted song than Miss Sarejevo. Yahweh is basically Bono's worship song/hymn on the album and acknowledges the role of God in regards to redemption. Incredible chorus and prayerful meditative verses! I really like the vocals and Edge's classic ethereal ringing guitars throughout. U2 again produces a reflective yet building bridge, and clearly are the masters of seguing a song from a bridge into the rest of the song seamlessly. The bonus track for UK and collector's edition of the cd is Fast Cars which in many ways is a perfect bookend for the album. It matches Vertigo in energy and with a very Spanish flavour (oddly a little Beatle-esque with a dash of flamenco or something?). This is perhaps the most danceable tune on the album and my daughter Chelsea's favorite for that very reason.

I've actually heard some of the B-sides (Vertigo remix, Neon Lights & Are You Gonna Wait Forever) and will comment on them some other time. Overall, I'm very pleased with the album but then again I am a U2 fanatic so what do you expect! I think I still like Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby better and I haven't decided which album will get third spot yet - HTDAAB may beat out ATYCLB but maybe not. Love to hear fellow U2 fan's responses on the album! Is there anybody out there?

G

5 comments:

Jeremy said...

I have to agree that after the first couple of listens, Miracle Drug seems to be the standout track. IMHO, it blows away anything from the last album. Original of the Species sounds pretty solid, too.

The ones you had questions about were the same ones I thought seemed a bit weak. Like you said, they might grow on you later.

tfoxfan said...

I had this event written on my calendar for two months. Buying the CD (which includes a DVD of glistening and gritty photography that I am a sucker for) was a pleasure in and of itself. I find the album compliments ATYCLB, building on what was already good into great. Of course, U2 is gold to me. What strikes me is that they never head into that recording studio half-ass, always with the intent to do better this time... and it shows.

I am hesitant to comment on my thoughts of specific songs yet. Though, I will make an exception with the song, "City of Blinding Lights". You commented that it was Joshua Tree + ATYCLB, whereas I think it is completely reminiscient of Wide Awake in America's "Bad" - which always gets me in a better mood.

More comments at a later date...
- E

tfoxfan said...

G,

I guess, more comments meant later on today...

To me, the song "A Man and a Woman" is a combination of two very different songs from 'Pop' and an obscure recording that I've misplaced but shows up again, poorly I might add, on the 1980-1990 B-sides. The two songs are "Please" and "Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl". The first, because of the jazzy, prominent bass line - though in a minor key. And the second, because of the way that it builds up in the beginning. In the end, "A Man and a Woman" provides an inventive and galloping tune despite its curiousities.

-E

Garth said...

I think the album on the whole is one that is going to grow on me over time. In some ways, vertigo, although a catchy song, is so different from the rest of the album that it doesn't appear to fit. But my guess is that this is partially due to Steve Lillywhite's production work - apparently he literally disconstructed the original song which may have(this is speculation on my part)isolated it from the rest of the album.

I think the album would be up there with Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby if there had been a consistent producer for each song but again that's my humble opinion. The hits are there and I like each song on its own but the album as a whole at this point seems to lack the continuity of Achtung Baby, ATYLB or Joshua Tree? Am I alone on this one?

J - we definitely agree on Miracle Drug! Originally I think I would have said ATYCLB's Walk On for me was still a better song but the more I listen the more it is growing on me.

E - yeah I can hear Bad in the City of Blinding Lights song now that you mention it...and you are right in not making too many judgements at this stage which is why I have been somewhat tentative with some of my comments as well. I do have to admit that I did succumb (like a druggie getting a fix) to having listened to the album prior to its official release...so I may have a slight advantage in making some of my comments.

Admittedly - I don't think there is a U2 album that I don't admire in some way (although I have some tracks from early U2 that definitely are lacking - ever seen the video ot heard the demo song Lost On A Silent Planet?). I was somewhat resistant to Pop initially but I love that album now - some of the deepest lyrics that U2 has ever written. Typically, my favorite albums are ones that have grown on me over time and not ones that I instantly liked.

Love to hear more thoughts!

G

Garth said...

E - "Please" is my favorite track from Pop (although Wake Up Dead Man is phenomenal as well lyrically), the video is an incredible piece of art that can be deconstructed on so many levels! I'm not seeing the correlation with "A Man & A Woman" though - other than a good bass line. But "Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl" I do see a strong similarity..."A Man & A Woman" however is much more refined song.

G