Thursday, November 18, 2004

Calm Before The Storm 2?

Well, I'm about 30 hours or so from running a youth event at the college and I'm surprisingly pretty relaxed. I have about a 100 high-school aged youth and 20 chaperones/sponsors arriving on campus tomorrow late afternoon. I'll have about 60 or so college students running different activities, leading worship, & taking the youth on different opportunities for service (soup kitchens, drop-ins, etc). My job is to coordinate the madness of programming, so that people can grow in their relationships to others and ultimately with God.

So today, I'm doing my best to rest before the chaos hits. I am not really a details person but for the most part the details seem to be taken care of. That is thanks to the details people around me and admittedly I have a fair amount of experience of running these types of events at colleges & camps. It's the unknown aspects of such events that are scary and obviously hardest to prepare for. We'll see what happens but in all honesty, I can hardly wait for next Tuesday and the official release of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb by U2. If I survive till then, I can make it through the chaos. I hope to escape to the wilderness for a short mtn bike ride and find some peace there as well.

G

1 comment:

Garth said...

The storm came and went - and for the most part went smoothly. It is hard to evaluate an event such as the one I ran because what determines success? We generally think of numbers when we think of success don't we? Like did we break even, make money or lose? How many people did we draw to the event? Note the quantitative nature of those types of questions.

We also can attempt to measure success qualitatively but perhaps not very objectively. Did students come away from the event changed in some way? How do you measure that change?

I can also just evaluate whether the program as it was designed. It clearly did but to simply run a program seems pretty meaningless. Why does one run an event like Impact? Is it just to draw people onto campus or is it to someway cause change?

Anyways - enough of my musings...it came and went - my hope is that change occured!