Sunday, November 07, 2004

Benchmark

Well - it has been six months of blogging and what have I learned? As an experiment into self-reflection it has been quite rewarding. I used to journal back in college but I always struggled with making consistent entries. With this whole online journaling thing, for whatever reason, I've managed to consistently make at least 2 entries per week. I think that's pretty good.

I've also appreciated some of the dialogue that other posters have contributed the musings of my wandering mind. In some ways, I wish I had more interaction but perhaps that it is an unrealistic expectation. I have learned though that generally speaking, when one responds on another's blog - often that blogger will respond to your site. I'm not sure if that is a courteous expectation or if it just happens randomly. My guess though is that we are all curious as to how others percieve our thoughts, however random or unique or mundane they are.

What has happened in my life in the last six months. Well, I'm living in a new house and operating a new computer. Wendy and I celebrated our 8th anniversary on June 14th. My family has expanded from one daughter to two! Chelsea will be three years old on the 17th and Aimee will be three months old on the 8th! I am in the midst of module three in my third year of college teaching and I still am surviving more or less.

The summer flew by way too fast, and it seems autumn is likewise. Has blogging been worth it? I think so - we'll see where we are at another six months from now and I'll be a yet better judge.

G

6 comments:

tfoxfan said...

G,
I certainly don't know what the courtesy is of posting from one blogger to another, but I do feel it is a forum for dialogue. So, reply posts are always wonderful to see, at least from my point of view.

I feel much like you do on the process of blogging versus that of a paper journal. Over the years, my journal has suffered significant infrequencies and overdrives. This blogging process of 'journalling' tends to facilitate an unknown accountability - like I'll let my readers down if I don't post - even though I don't write for the readers, rather for myself. So, the connection between writing and having readers is somehow a good balance for thourough thoughts formation, personal authenticity and vulnerability, as well as opportunity for interesting 'conversation'.

Keep blogging, I'm in!
- E

Garth said...

Hey E,

Yeah my guess is that it isn't so much a courtesy that we post on others' blogs as it is out of curiousity and replying to a conversation that has been started. We learn much about our own thoughts when interacting with others.

I posted a bit of parable in the form of lament a while back in my blog. There was some truth behind it but clearly it was a metaphorical story not based in pure reality. It was interesting for me to read how others perceived the message I intentionally sent somewhat mysteriously.

A journal such as this is part mystery and part truth. You can hear the X-Files theme song can't you? It is when me ponder, when we muse, that we discover that the truth is out there...only it is dimly lit.

I found your following statement somewhat intriguing, "This blogging process of 'journalling' tends to facilitate an unknown accountability - like I'll let my readers down if I don't post - even though I don't write for the readers, rather for myself."

When we send messages such as blogs - do we do it solely for ourselves or is it part of our longing for relationship that is so built into us. We all want to be heard don't we. Can we just write for ourselves on such a public place as the Internet? I agree that there is some sort of balance out there in our blog-conversations of thought formation, personal accountability, & vulnerability.

tfoxfan said...

Garth,

I think the desire to be connected is part of the blog attraction, or shall I call it an addiction? It's also a way to engage with people that you may not otherwise connect with. Aren't we a great example of that?!

I feel that my own blog addiction is closely tied with a mix of fascination with internet culture, desire to meet new people - even if we never actually meet (live that is), and create a forum for exploring thoughts of all kinds - shallow and deep. It also forces me to think before I speak - which is an attribute I don't often have when I most need it...and I long to master.

- E

Jeremy said...

Esther and Garth: I'm so pleased to have both of your voices in the online realm. And it's true that we write for ourselves AND enjoy having an audience, or more accurately, connecting with others.

It can be a bit of a vortex, and occasionally it may seem like a waste of time, but it can be very rewarding too. Keep those posts and comments coming...

Garth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Garth said...

Ditto on the pleasure it is to hear from both E & J on this whole blogging medium! It has been an interesting journey of musing & inter-musing!