Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Life of David

I'm in the midst of researching for a new course I'll be teaching this fall focused on the Psalms. Obviously one of the keys to unlocking the poetry of the psalms is to get to know the poet. The life of David is one of contrast between human lows and spiritual highs.

What I love about David is that he is real - he is human. David sins but finds redemption. David struggles but finds peace in the wilderness - God's creation. He wrestles with God, questioning the suffering of the world, the loss of friends to war & murder... He demands justice in a world where the scales seemed to have tipped in the favor of all who rise against him. Yet David is a man of God.

David is human like you and I. Yet He rises from his simple skin, his human condition into someone worthy of the love of God. Despite being a murderer, an adulterer, a sinner - David the man finds grace & forgiveness! He recognizes that we do not control our world - only God does.

Through praise, through lament - David discovers that God is always there. No matter how great the mountain, how deep the valley, the peace that passes all understanding can be found in the amazing love, the amazing grace of God Almighty!

Selah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo G 'sup? lol sorry I had to.. I must say.. I absolutely LOVE your new house! And my sis tells me you just love my piercings/tattoo ;o)
*~Em

Garth said...

Hey thanx Em! I checked out your site thanx to your sis' Bek! Glad to hear things are going well for you! It was weird going back to Haliburton earlier this spring and not seeing any Schwartzentrubers there... We are hoping Bek & her hubbie will stop by this week for a visit!

G