Friday, July 09, 2004

Holidaze!

Wow - it's great to finally unwind and not worry about work. Okay, I admit it - I'm still reading & prepping for my courses but I'm not at the office. I actually am in the process of reading Leonard Sweet's latest take on leadership (from a postmodern perspective) called Summoned To Lead. His take on leadership is that we are neither born or made leaders - we are called by situations?God? into a leadership opportunity.

In other words when it is how we respond when put into situation that demands leadership that determines whether or not we are leaders. He gives the example of Shackleton the famous Antarctic explorer who was in a number of difficult leadership situations - one of them being stranded for 2 years off the coast of Antarctica with his crew. He never lost a person under his command despite numerous perils.

I have always felt that everyone has the capability of being a leader - it is just a matter of taking a step of faith and doing something with the gifts & abilities God has given us. Sweet also says that a vision is something that we listen for and not necessarily see. I likewise has felt that both your mission & vision is not something that you create. It is given to you by God.

No comments: