Monday, November 03, 2008

Bob Dylan Concert - 11.02.08

For whatever reason - my Sunday only really started at 7:45pm when Dylan walked onto the stage at the MTS Centre. I suppose the time-change messed up my wiring because I was dragging my feet until the show started. Wow. WOW! Bob Dylan and His Band simply blew my preconceptions away.
That's right - Mr. Dylan playing some gee-tar!

I was expecting his voice to be somewhat mumbling & rambling but whoever was doing sound was spot on - his voice was perfect and musically the band was tight. Some of the songs listed below were completely reinvented - which is typical Dylan I'm told and I wish I could get some recordings of it.
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right had these amazing guitar parts that reminded me of a modern Moonlight Sonata (I joked with my sister who joined me for the show that Dylan had written that too).
My personal favs included: Don't Think Twice,Highway 61, I Still Believe, Ain't Talkin, Thunder on the Mountain, and the two closing numbers in the encore totally rocked - Rolling Stone & All Along The Watchtower! So there ya have it - I once again witnessed a legendary musician. It's been a good year of live music for me!
Setlist:
1. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
3. The Levee's Gonna Break
4. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
5. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
6. Simple Twist Of Fate
7. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
8. I Believe In You
9. Desolation Row
10. Blind Willie McTell
11. Summer Days
12. Nettie Moore
13. Highway 61 Revisited
14. Ain't Talkin'
15. Thunder On The Mountain
Encore:
16. Like A Rolling Stone
17. All Along The Watchtower
Bob Dylan "prancing" on the stage...you go Mr. Zimmerman!
Band Members
Bob Dylan - keyboard, guitar, harp
Tony Garnier - bass
George Recile - drums
Stu Kimball - rhythm guitar
Denny Freeman - lead guitar
Donnie Herron - viola, banjo, electric mandolin, pedal steel, lap steel

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Favourite Dylan album?

Mine is Blonde On Blonde, which, incidentally, is not the best of search terms on Google - ya get much, much, more than you bargained for. :-)

David.

Garth said...

For me it's Oh Mercy - anything Lanois (produces) touches seems to turn to gold from U2's Joshua Tree to Bob Dylan to Emmy Lou Harris.

Keira said...

Garth, I've been listening to the Wallflowers all day and I love them! Also on the drive to the Whiteshell I got through most of the Bootleg Bob Dylan stuff . . . love that too! Thanks!

Garth said...

Hey Kiki - glad you are enjoying the wallflowers & Tell Tale Signs - I loaded some more pics on facebook from the concert - not super but they capture some memories!

Keira said...

I agree with most of your fav songs for this concert but I would add Nettie Moore to the list . . . A week later and I can still hear him singing "the world . . . has gone black . . . before my eyes"