Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Blurring of Generations

Jer's Lifestylism placed a great link to this article about a newly minted generational group - the "Grups". When I think of the circles of influence I am a part of, I realize quickly how blurred generations have become. Some question whether or not 20/30 somethings are living with a "Peter Pan" mindset and are refusing to grow up. I like to think that we are simply messing with the modernist world surrounding us and saying we are not willing to simply do what previous generations have done. Why should I wear a suit to work when I'm much more comfortable in jeans and T-shirt? But then again, I saw a 45 year old local business owner with a soul patch, leather jacket, on a Harley and I started to chuckle...who am i a decade later?

After some self reflection, I came up with these random musings: I listen to the same types of music and bands that my students do; I wear similiar clothing; I too am concerned about the environment; I agree with their apathy concerning politics and that all governments are corrupt to some degree; I prefer exploring play through adventure sports rather than sitting passively by a TV; I am addicted to technology but love to escape from "the world"; I question people that think they have it all together; I detest the pursuit of happiness through materialism but you should see the stuff I've accumulated: bikes/cameras/outdoor gear/books/music...etc! We live in a paradox it seems, caught between what we envision our ideal lives to be and how we actually live our lives. The blur of culture continues...

3 comments:

Rosster said...

I can relate to being aware of the paradox you describe. I think it has always been there but our generation perhaps is honest enough to acknowledge it and talk about it more. The paradox illuminates what it means to be human, as we live in a state of exile (if you believe life has meaning beyond the ordinariness of things)

Dave said...

The flipside of this, which I have experienced, is that ending up being someone between the generations means you don't really fit in anywhere. You can be anywhere, and be useful. But by not being one to be pegholed, means that you have no place that you belong to 100%, unless of course you create that place for yourself. But for that you need an extraordinary ammount of energy. Part of me fitting in anywhere is a healthy dose of laziness... which limits my ability to create a place for myself.

Ah.... paradoxes are so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Rosster - brokeness of the world yearning for wholeness; I see where you are going - the quest for shalom! Not necessarily peace but a restoration of what was or what should be...

Dave - it's so weird for me as I've always kind of fit in with whatever generation I work with...I wonder if that is in part because I've always had a working relationship with those older than me. I'm the youngest guy on the leadership team I'm involved with at church (the ave age is 50); I'm the youngest prof at the college I work at; I'm guessing the median there is 40...the paradox for me is that I fit in with either generation. I love Johnny Cash but I also love Death Cab For Cutie - in fact I was just as pumped as my students who are in their late teens or early 20s when the new Jimmy Eat World cd came out!

Garth

BTW - my hard-drive crashed last week so I've been away from blogland