Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Return of the Explorer

“I wonder what sort of tale we’ve fallen into?”

—J. R . R . Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

I returned from my journey to NC Sunday morning and hope to post a gleaning from my personal journal below. My readers are welcome to blame my tardiness in posting as of late due to a week of faculty meetings and the need to reconnect with family & friends but in all honesty it probably has more to do with my lack of ambition this time of year. Spring has sprung and I find it challenging to spend time in front of a monitor and keyboard.

I managed to keep a journal in paper format regarding my escape and I've done my best to scrape together some sort of a summary of my ten day journey here. I've managed to travel back into time and post my journal entries sequentially. So to read the start of my journey you will have scroll down to my quick links or click on the April section.

G

Links to Journal Days: One, Two, Three & Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten.

I should also note that I borrowed some pictures from Lisa Swift to spruce up my journal a little. Thanx for the pics Lisa!


3 comments:

R. said...

I can relate on the lack of ambition for the lack of posts. I now have the flu and am stuck at home. I just hope I don't get out of this flu fog and find nothing on my blog makes sense. I am looking forward to reading about your journey.

Medeba Guy said...

I guess now the only question is "when can you join us again?" Garth, you would have really loved the other half of the Tsali trails and the 3-4 section of the French Broad. I thought of you several times.

Garth said...

If the invite still stands I could just make the paddling trip an annual thing! :) I also hear word of a whitewater canoe trip next spring - my vote personally is still for the Blood vein River (I like the idea of having to floatplane in) but I may be swayed to do the Noire River in Quebec if it ends up being more economical. Either way some of us will have to drive many many hours or fly. That's what made the White River so good - meeting halfway between our locations.

G