Monday, March 02, 2009

Magnificent

I love what I do & I can't hide it. Teaching puts a spring in my step and I can't help but grin like the Cheshire Cat at all the opportunities I've had to challenge, encourage, & inspire during my lifetime. 52 days left in the semester and 7 years of teaching at a college level will have passed. Hard to believe just how fast time flies. SO many things to ponder - am I better teacher than when I first began? Or have I lost some that enthusiasm & optimism I had during graduate studies? I'm still being stretched as a teacher and I do think I've become more relational & less tied to my teaching notes. I still feel I'm just exploring the realm of experiential teaching within the classroom - it's hard to let go of the reigns I suppose. I've always believed that experience is the best teacher but I've also learned that you need a phenomenal guide for the learning experience to be of value. We need boundaries to explore - we need boundaries to push against.

I've written about why I do what I do but perhaps I should muse about why I can't not do what I do? So much to explore in this life!

I wrote a little speech 7 years ago that compared my graduate studies to that of the sport of whitewater kayaking. I think that challenge still rings true - we need to face danger, we need to face obstacles, otherwise we grow complacent & cloudy like a stagnant pool. We need change to grow and learning is all about change. I still have an incredibly strong passion to teach but I'm restless & admittedly tired. I'm due for a sabbatical (overdue actually) and I'm looking forward to January 2010 & the "great escape" with Wendy & our kids. New places to discover, new things to learn!

I purchased the BBC Planet Earth series for our family and this past Sunday enjoyed Disc 1 - which includes an overall look from pole to pole. One word captures it all - magnificent! In fact it reminded me of a new track from U2's new album (release tomorrow) No Line in the Horizon:
Magnificent
Magnificent

I was born
I was born to be with you
In this space and time
After that and ever after I haven't had a clue
Only to break rhyme
This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

I was born
I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice
From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise...

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent
Magnificent

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love unites our hearts

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent
Magnificent
Magnificent


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did Letterman score that? U2 every night for a week!? If I watched TV, I'd watch his show for that alone... guess I'll have to be satisfied with YouTube.
-Kyle (as in your brother)

Garth said...

U2 is a friend of New York apparently & Letterman the king of late-night in NY. Good for both parties I guess! The album takes some a bit to get used to but I particularly like the more experimental tracks.