Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Study In Motion

This shot was taken by my wife Wendy and I think it captures well the motion of the waterfall. Yours truly as the somewhat stationary object within the picture provides some contrast. If the exposure had been somewhat longer - more blur would have occured of the water falling but because I too was in motion some of the effect would have been lost.
This shot of Jason was taken by me on a fall trip to the Sandilands last year. I panned the camera while taking the picture in the opposite direction as to what Jason was travelling - the result is motion blur - that provides a sense of the bike travelling fast but fortunately I was able to capture the bike somewhat so that you can still identify it.
This shot I took this Spring during a race in the Sandilands - the rider is unidentified and I was able to capture the bike but still provide some motion in the picture. I think the picture would have been better (in capturing motion) if I had captured the tail-end of the bike and had the blurred space behind. But on the other hand - I like how the athleticism of the rider seems focused on the trail ahead - the wheel's blur adds to the affect of motion.
Another identified rider during the Sandilands race this Spring - this time it is the bike in motion and the background & foregrand is still. Simply another way to capture motion.
I've posted this shot of Pat before - also from that epic Sandilands Race shoot - I panned with Pat as he made this corner and I was able to keep him somewhat focused but blurred the background.
A field of sunflowers (some shots below as well) also provided me some opportunity to experiment with motion - only in this case somewhat artificial & abstract. This shot was taken at sunset which added to the color intensity - I took it while zooming in or out manually with my lens - if my memory serves me correctly I zoomed out after focusing on the centre of the flower.
This shot is maybe a bit over-dramatic with its color & blur (I have a similiar shot below which may be a bit better) - I actually just tweaked the stalk of the flower from below and caught it in motion.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Absolutely great shots! My least favourite is probably the third one, but the rest are spectacular. My absolute favourite, if I have to choose, is the sunflower where you say:

This shot was taken at sunset which added to the color intensity - I took it while zooming in or out manually with my lens

It's the best in my opinion. The problem with all of this, and which I stated in my post on my blog that led here, is that these things are easy to do with an SLR, but not with a point and shoot.

I know you said you thought it was possible, but the results are so random with something that does all the thinking for you. My camera is so old that it doesn't even give the option of changing ANY setting. Just point and click. One day...

Garth said...

Thanks Jason for the comments! Yeah I'm with you on the third one - lacking something and I do think it has something to do with blur in front of the rider as opposed to behind.

Re: the point&shoot - I have to admit I take crappy pictures with our point&shoot - I need a lens to turn & focus with! It is possible to trick point&shoots by focusing on the foreground and letting another object go by like a car or a bike (like in most of my pics)...and voille instant blur.

You'll just have to save up for that digital SLR or win the lottery!

Jason said...

Oh, lottery. For sure. :D I've been thinking about "A Study in Motion" for the last few days and think I'll try to make it my goal to learn how to 'trick', as you said, the PAS (too lazy) into doing it. If I'm successful I'll let you know.