Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back to the Wild

Okay - I freely admit to enjoying my time on the road bike but wow was it good to be back on my mountain bike this past Monday! The fire restrictions have lifted for now, meaning that backcountry travel is again permissable - so yeah it meant I got a few rides in this weekend and on Monday Pat joined me for an epic 18km ride in Ingolf, Ontario. There is something amazing about that place - maybe its the rolling granite or the technical singletrack but it is absolutely paradise for mtn bikers like me. It's hard on one's body though - lots of drops, loose rocks, roots, tight corners, exposure on lake shore cliffs, and the kms may fly by but not without some wear on the muscles!

I also spent some time on my hidden trail near the cottage and rode it successfully with only two sections where i needed to dismount. I have to say this again - as much as road biking was a great experience - mtn biking still is way more addictive and satisfying. I think it is because it is somewhat like chess on two-wheeled adrenaline - you have must make moves & decisions to make on the fly!

Tonight - Pat and I escaped to the Sandilands and did our classic 10km loop to Suicide Hill and back. We met a bear on the way in and he or she seemed quite relaxed and unalarmed at our sudden presence. The air was really muggy and we both felt in our lungs on some of the climbs. Legs felt great though - lots of tight, winding singletrack - the lack of riding this trail though in the past three weeks meant we had to stop a few times to remove debris and some of our descents were almost blind due to low-hanging branches. Fallen trees from a recent t-storm also resulted in some detours or tree removal. Anyways - great to be back in the wilds of the Sandilands on my bright blue Trance!

Below are some shots from a cross-country race in the Sandilands that my riding buddies Pat & Jason participated back in June.

Pat rounding a corner...
Jason in motion...
I love this shot of Pat on another corner - the motion blur worked out quite well!
Jason pushing the limits of speed...

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Sounds like some fantastic riding. I've spent some more time on the road in the last year, and it's fine for what it is (exercise, scenery, easy transportation)...but off-road riding is really a totally different category of fun, adding adrenaline, challenge, skill and variety in addition to the benefits of the road (exercise, scenery, easy transportation).

Garth said...

I am thinking about picking a road rig in the near future (depending on cost/budget) after experiencing the camaraderie of road biking - there is something about working together as a team that appeals to me about the sport which really isn't a part of mountain biking. The other interesting aspect is the amount of kms you can put on in comparison to mtn biking. Although like you said - the adrenaline, challenge, skill and variety of mountain biking really puts offroad biking into its own unique category - adventure! And when it comes to exploring play - for me mountain biking reigns supreme!

Garth said...

By the way - I added a few pics to spruce up exploreplay...my musings site too has been updated with recent pics! enjoy!