Saturday, August 20, 2005

Exploring The Journey

I love the following quote from the character of Sam in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, "I wonder what sort of tale we've fallen into?"

Ever wonder why your story has ended up where it is? Amazing how the choices we are faced with and the decisions we in turn make take us to where we are today. I would have laughed in your face if someone would have suggested I would be a college professor ten years ago. But in retrospect I can see how the many experiences I've gone through in my 32 years of existence has led me to where I am today. I have always loved learning and always loved to teach others what I've learned. I have always loved stories - I think we all do - don't we? That's why we have movies, books, newspapers, even weather channels - everything tells a story.

I have had some truly epic moments in my life thus far and I would never give back those stepping stones that have shaped me to be who I am.

"Our stories tell us who we are, why we are here, and what we are to do. They give us our best answers to all of life's big questions, and to most of the small ones as well." - Daniel Taylor

9 comments:

tfoxfan said...

You've hit it, Garth. I see Samwise Gamgee as the real backbone of the entire LOTR tale - not questioning why we're here, but what will this adventure bring? At the same time, asking 'why this adventure' is important too. Process, process, my favourite uncomfortable existance.

Great reflective post, Garth

Garth said...

Great to have you stop by and comment! Processing our experiences is essential if we want to learn from them. I had the awkward pleasure of taking our college faculty through a couple teambuilding initiatives on Monday at our annual faculty retreat in Pinawa. It was awkward in that I am part of the team but had to take a step back in actually leading the activities. But we processed and debriefed our strengths & weaknesses well.

Thanks again E!

Troy Worman said...

Excellent post, Garth, and excellent blog. I love it and I will be back.

Garth said...

Thanks Troy - glad you could stop by! Feel free to comment on my definition of play sometime or explore further the implications of play in the workplace!

G

Jaime Lee said...

Love this post and topic! I think we don't sit back and reflect enough on our lives and how far we have come as individuals - and why we chose the paths we chose to get here. I think I am going to put in LOTR right now! :)

Garth said...

Thanx Jaime Lee - your reactions and thoughts are always welcome! I still haven't watched the LOTR extended trilogy in succession - clearly I would have to dedicate a full day!!!

I'm not sure if you ever watched Joan of Arcadia but it emphasized the fact that everything we do affects something. It also investigated the role of grace in life - that there is more to life than simply karma. Sometimes are actions create something way beyond what we expect them to! That's why I am a teacher!

G

Jaime Lee said...

The extended trilogy is unbelievable. I couldn't believe how each movie made more and more sense to me as I watched the extended versions. The storyline became so very complete. It is a must see - and worth the day of dedication!

I have heard very good things about Joan of Arcadia - I will put it on my "things to do" page! :)

Chris said...

There's something in thinking about our life as a tale (or better yet an anthology) that takes away some of the darkness. It inspires some imagination and some of that ancient storytelling telling magic that is unique to us humans. We live each day on a hero's or a heroine's journey not terribly sure what will befall us, but knowing that it will be an adventure nonetheless.

Garth said...

Hey Chris, good to hear from you. Every good story has a crisis to overcome doesn't it? We encounter storms & obstacles in life and so often we get lost in despair but like Frodo we need to keep going and hopefully we've got some companions along for the adventure. I love this line from Bruce Cockburn, "You've got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight!"

G