Saturday, December 18, 2004

Exploring Play

I've decided to start a new sideline blog with a more specific purpose from Musings - exploring the concept of play and its role in our lives. Here's some questions to those faithful few who actually visit this blog: is it a good idea to explore the concept of play? What aspects of play should be explored? It's role in leadership? in education? in lifestyle? in spirituality? I hope to come up with some sort of definition & potentially a philosophy of play so I'm hoping for some interaction from others in this exploration.

I recently amazoned myself a copy of Pat Kane's The Play Ethic (a thick manifesto that I am working my way through) and I also have Jerome Berryman's book Godly Play which I have briefly scanned through. Are there any other books you might recommend that would help me in my research? Perhaps the creation of a theology of play would be an interesting endeavour as well. Any ideas, suggestions, banter, title ideas, etc. are greatly appreciated. Obviously play is a strong component of lifestylism that my friend Jer has been exploring, and I should credit him for inspiring me in investigating this particular aspect of lifestyle.

As always - exploring!

2 comments:

Rosster said...

Perhaps the writer of that quote in the Aron Ralston book we discussed, re: the idea that there is nothing more damaging to the human spirit of adventure than a secure future. That kind of fits in to the whole play concept I think

Garth said...

Excellent idea D! Off to exploreplay now - hope others follow my side journey!

G