Monday, February 26, 2007

Antarctican Psychedelic Octopus

How's that for a cool new emo rock band name? (Actually the pic above would be a cool album cover!) I've always been partial to the Tragically Hip Waders (the only country band I've ever played in - for flood relief in Morris) or maybe even the stylings of the Dancing Mennonites (polka-rock anyone?) but you get the picture right? What cool band name have you imagined up in your existence?

I used to be in a band called Mission back in high school after the previous bassist left town - classic 80's hard rock/metal stuff (covering stuff like White Lion, Stryper, Warrant, etc. - I'll have to dig out some pictures), then in college played in a reggae/rock/pop band called Mwanzo (means Roots in Swahili if my memory serves me correctly), an alternative rock band with a hint of folk called Big Ugly Tree (BUT for short) which later morphed into the Ditch Flowers (trippy folk version of the Smashing Pumpkins with a female lead vocal) - our claim to fame other than playing gigs in a variety of clubs in Winnipeg (and making a recording) was an interview with MuchMusic as a so-called "up-and-coming" band. Ironically, we broke up about 3 months later because half the band got married off that summer! I played in some other bands along the way and since but most were for specific events and didn't end up going anywhere.

I'd love to do the band thing again but it is tough with all the things I have on the go and hobbies I have. I've chosen cycling & skiing as my things right now, I still play bass in a music team in our church and have done some recording on the side but music unfortunately is taking a back seat right now. I still play bass & acoustic regularly, along with the mandolin & mandotar but quite honestly am not in the musical form I once was.

Hmm - amazing how a random musing like that can be spawned from new discoveries of sea creatures in the oceans surrounding the most southern continent on this planet. Check out the article as it is a cool & interesting read.

No comments: