Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Joys of Teaching Outdoor Education

I love teaching and I know I can never escape being a teacher - it is a part of who I am. Sharing what I know and what I am learning excites me. Teaching resonates with me most when I can share what I am most passionate about. The past three weeks I had the privilege of bringing 15 students on an educational journey exploring outdoor education. The result was pretty cool and I can't take complete credit but obviously I played a role in the learning process.


My 2005 Outdoor Education Class!

The cool thing about teaching in the outdoors is that "teachable moments" are everywhere. Our classrooms are often so sterile that we lack the inspiration that is reflected in the wilderness so well. Reading my students' journals encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm not necessarily motivated by praise but when I hear comments like, "you made me think" or "this week was one of my best weeks of my entire life!"


Garth & Mandy making use of a teachable moment!

I can't help but grin and thank the Maker. In many ways, teachers are simply conduits for the learning experience to happen. And that's okay because of the change we get to see when the light bulb starts to glow and shine!


Teambuilding using the classic blind maze!

Here are some anonymous quotes from some of my students regarding their time at Red Rock doing outdoor education:

"I learned, I should be more optimistic about myself..."

"I learned so much about myself, about others, about God, about the outdoors!"

"I would do this all over again in a snap!"

"Thanks God for making this an unforgettable experience for us all and for helping us stretch our limits!"

"I learned to respect nature & wildlife, they have a far more important & intricate role than I ever though possible."

"Thanks for the awesome week we had. It has shown me so much about myself and given me a new perspective on myself and my life. I really needed this experience and I will always remember it."
That's just a sampling - now doesn't that make you want to teach! Changed self-perceptions, pushed limits, respect for Creation and the Creator! Pretty cool eh?


Mtn Biking Class At Echo Valley

No comments: