Sunday, November 23, 2008

Riding on Frozen Ground

I had a great escape to the Sandilands with Pat & Ed - taking on the "roller-coaster" section of a trail that follows the main escarpment on the west side of the park.
We drove in through the clear-cut section (the aftermath of a fire) and got to the trailhead - unloaded the bikes and sped effortlessly over the frozen ground.
Sure some the hills' traction was compromised by the light snow but for the most part - the riding was fast. I went solo for the last half - taking a different trail than the others - I felt I need some alone time both mentally & spiritually - it was good!
Not sure how many kms I put on - about a dozen I'm guessing. I'm definitely out-of-shape compared to summer but I did surprisingly well. I hope it isn't the last ride of the year - we'll see if I can escape again this next weekend?

2 comments:

Keira said...

Well as of today there is more than enough snow to cross country ski here at the cabin! So your muscles need not atrophy during the long winter ahead.

Garth said...

Really? How much did it snow???